This Basil Bean Salad is another favorite summertime salad of mine. I love all bean salads but this one helps me use up my overabundance of basil. It’s everywhere, it’s everywhere!
Helpful Hints: My recipe calls for chilling for several hours or overnight, but in the past, I have thrown this salad together and served it immediately and it tasted awesome. Also, I sometimes use sugar substitute and reduce the oil and vinegar down to 1/4 cup each (instead of the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for). I like to play with my food that way!
- 1 can (15-16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) cut green beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 T sugar
- 1 T minced fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3/4 tsp. ground mustard
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl, combine beans, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, basil, mustard and salt. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill for several hours or overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.