Key Lime Doughnuts have just the right amount of tart and sweet. These baked no-yeast doughnuts are so easy to make and the glaze really puts them over the top.
I do have to say that these doughnuts have more of a cake-like consistency. They get their lift from baking powder instead of yeast. Baked doughnuts are much easier to make than traditional fried yeast doughnuts.
My family loves when I make a key-lime dessert. You’ll find more key lime desserts down below, but for now, let’s talk about these delicious key lime doughnuts.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Key Lime Doughnuts
For the doughnuts:
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- whole milk
- fresh lime zest
- canola oil
- powdered sugar
- fresh lime juice
- fresh lime zest
- Crushed graham cracker (completely optional but very good!)
Tips For Making Key Lime Doughnuts
- Always use fresh lime juice. Key limes (also known as Mexican limes) are smaller, tarter, and more aromatic than traditional Persian limes. If you can’t find key limes, it’s perfectly fine to use regular Persian limes.
- To get more juice from your limes, use a hand juicer. You can roll limes on your countertop to soften them up or place them in the microwave for 15 seconds
- Don’t skip the lime zest! Lime zest is the outer portion of the lime peeling. The zest adds even more flavor to these doughnuts. To zest a lime, a Microplane zester works best. Make sure you wash the limes first! When zesting, make sure you don’t press down too hard because you don’t want to get the bitter pith beneath the lime.
- Use a doughnut pan to bake doughnuts. Fill the pans generously.
- Don’t forget to grease and flour the doughnut pans. I always use Baker’s Joy.
- Don’t overbake the doughnuts! Overbaked doughnuts tend to be dry so always check the doughnuts a couple of minutes before the baking time is up.
You Will Also Love The Recipes Below!
- Easy Air Fryer Doughnuts (made with canned biscuits but amazingly delicious!)
- Baked Strawberry Doughnuts With Strawberry Glaze
- No-Yeast Buttermilk Doughnuts
- Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding
- 15 Unique Key Lime Pies
- Family Favorite Key Lime Pie
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- 1 crushed graham cracker (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with a baking spray with flour (like Baker's Joy)
- To make the doughnut batter:
Add flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk to blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, egg, lime zest, and oil until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter is smooth. Don't over mix. Fill the doughnut cavities with the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the doughnut pan on a wire rack to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the doughnuts from the pan and place them on a wire rack until completely cool.
- To make the glaze, add powdered sugar, lime juice, and zest in a bowl. Mix until blended. Dip cooled doughnuts into the glaze. Return to the wire rack.
Sprinkle the glazed donuts with crushed graham crackers.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
For best results, always use fresh lime juice and lime zest.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 24mgSodium 225mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 1gSugar 22gProtein 3g