My family is crazy about my Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan. If you’re fortunate enough to have any leftovers, it’s even better the next day. I like to serve Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti, but you can use whatever type pasta your family prefers.
Sometimes, I make Chicken Parmesan the traditional way – dipping the chicken in an egg and then in breadcrumbs. This way doesn’t work in the slow cooker. The breadcrumbs become soggy and it’s not very good.
When I make Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan, instead of coating the chicken with breadcrumbs, I brown the breadcrumbs in a skillet a few minutes before the chicken is done. Then, I top each piece of chicken with the breadcrumb mixture right before serving. It must be good because my daughter-in-law asked me how I made the breadcrumb topping taste so delicious.
Of course, when my large family comes over for lunch every Sunday, I have to quadruple this recipe. Thankfully, I have several slow cookers.
This past Sunday, I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. The family loved the swap. Add a green salad, rolls (or garlic bread) and you’re good to go.
Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Pour Tomato and Basil Sauce over chicken.
Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Before serving, top the chicken with shredded mozzarella, parmesan, and breadcrumbs. Serve over pasta (I use thin spaghetti).
Helpful Hint: To make the breadcrumb topping, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until browned.
Or, if you had rather make your own breadcrumbs, it’s easy to do.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (24 oz.) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. thin spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour pasta sauce over the chicken and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Just before the pasta is done, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken over the pasta and top with cheeses and breadcrumbs.
This is such a simple recipe and when my daughter-in-law asked if it was on the blog, I knew I had to add it. It’s a keeper!