This post, White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie, contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I’ll receive a little pocket change at no additional cost to you.
White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie with OREO crust is a beautiful, festive dessert that’s perfect for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Who am I kidding? it’s perfect throughout the holidays.
This pie is fairly easy to put together, especially when you use a premade OREO crust. It can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
For this recipe, you’ll need a double boiler. If you’ve never used a double boiler or don’t have one, don’t let that step stop you from making White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie. I don’t have one either so I use a metal mixing bowl over a smaller saucepan of simmering water. You bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and then turn it down to simmering.
One of these days, I’m going to invest in a double boiler. This is the one I have my eye on.
I rarely use my handheld mixer since I prefer my KitchenAid stand mixer, but I’ve had one forever and I pull it out for recipes like this. If you don’t have a handheld mixer, you can get one here.
White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie
You can make your own OREO crust by finely crushing 24 OREOS and mixing the crumbs with 6 tablespoons melted butter. Press the crumbs into a 9-inch deep dish pie crust. However, I choose to use a premade OREO crust to save time making the dessert and cleaning up.
Microwave the chopped white chocolate baking bars in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside and microwave the 3 tablespoons whipping cream. Pour the cream over the white chocolate and let stand for one minute. Mix until smooth. Mix in the peppermint extract and set aside.
Pour about an inch of water into the bottom of a double boiler. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer. To the top of the double boiler (or heatproof bowl), add egg whites and sugar. Whisk constantly until the sugar is dissolved (about 2-3 minutes).
Once the sugar is dissolved, beat egg white mixture with a handheld mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Add food coloring and increase speed to high. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Remove from heat and fold in the chocolate mixture and then fold in the whipped cream.
Spoon mousse into prepared pie crust. Cover and freeze overnight (at least 8 hours.)
- 1 pre-made OREO crust
- 2 (4 oz.) white chocolate baking bars, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 10 drops red food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- Garnish with white chocolate shavings and crushed peppermint candies, optional
- Microwave white chocolate baking bars in a bowl on high for one minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
- In a glass measuring cup, microwave 3 Tablespoons whipping cream on high for 30 seconds. Pour the whipping cream over the white chocolate and let stand for one minute. Stir until smooth. Stir in peppermint extract and let cool.
- In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, add egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, beat egg white mixture with a handheld mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add food coloring and increase the speed to high, beating until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat. Fold in white chocolate mixture, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon mousse mixture into pre-made OREO crust. Cover and freeze for 8-12 hours.
- Before serving, garnish with white chocolate shavings and crushed peppermint candies, if desired.
If you’re looking for a pretty and delicious pie to make during the holiday season, White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse Pie will wow your family and friends. Plus, you can make it ahead of time!
Do you ever use a double boiler?