Do you walk? Run? Neither?
I walk. My daughter runs. And throughout the years I’ve heard myths, truths and exaggerations about both. So I set out to get the skinny on the hot topic – Walking Vs. Running!
Facts about Running
1. Running burns more calories than walking!
2. Running is a great exercise to help lose and maintain weight.
Well, duh! I think we all know that.
3. Running burns approx. 800 calories an hour and walking burns approx. 300 calories an hour.
4. Running puts more stress on the body and increases the risk for injury.
5. Runners are usually thinner than walkers.
Facts about Walking
1. According to some studies, you use more muscles walking, as opposed to running.
Yeah, now we’re talking!
2. Regular cardio (no matter what the speed) can help keep the body healthy, improve mood and energy levels.
3. Walking is easier on the joints.
4. One study cited that walking at 4 mph on the treadmill with hand and ankle weights was comparable to jogging at 5 mph without the extra poundage.
5. Walking is the perfect exercise for the overweight and/or out of shape.
Bottom Line: Adding aerobic exercise to your routine is a great way to build your cardiovascular fitness. Running and walking are both excellent aerobic exercises. Both will help promote weight loss, improve your sleep, elevate your mood, boost your energy level, decrease blood pressure, cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
I will keep on walking/cycling and my daughter will keep on running!
What’s your favorite way to get your cardio on? Please “weigh” in! Sorry, couldn’t help myself! 🙂