This post, Lightened Up Crab Cakes, has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Mazola® Corn Oil. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeItMazola #simpleswap #CollectiveBias
I could eat crab cakes at least once a week. I’m a seafood lover and I try to get my seafood fix as often as possible. I’m also trying to lighten up many of my recipes in order to make them better for me. That’s one of the reasons I make my Lightened Up Crab Cakes with Mazola® Corn Oil.
To lighten up my Crab Cakes recipe, I replaced the whole egg with just the egg white and I used Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise. Instead of deep-frying the cakes, I used Mazola Corn Oil for sautéing. The results are a lighter, delicious crab cake that the entire family enjoys.
Cooking with Mazola Corn Oil is one of the heart-healthy choices I make for my family. Also, the taste is neutral so the natural flavor of my food stands out. It’s perfect for making a marinade or dressing.
All-purpose Mazola Corn Oil has a high smoke point and works great for a variety of cooking methods, including stir-frying, sautéing, grilling and baking. The smoke point simply refers to the temperature at which an oil starts to burn and smoke.
All cooking oils have a smoke point and once that point is exceeded, the food’s flavor and nutritional values are negatively affected. Mazola Corn Oil has a higher smoke point than most cooking oils (450º). That’s a good thing!
Lightened Up Crab Cakes
Combine crabmeat, panko bread crumbs, and green onions in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, one egg white, one tablespoon brown mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
Shape crabmeat mixture into eight cakes. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add one tablespoon Mazola Corn Oil. Add four crab cakes and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
To prepare the dipping sauce, mix remaining 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon brown mustard and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce in a small bowl. Serve crab cakes warm with dipping sauce and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
- 16 ounces premium crabmeat
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil, divided
- In a medium bowl, combine crabmeat, panko bread crumbs and chopped green onions. Add 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, egg white, one Tablespoon spicy brown mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Shape crabmeat mixture into 8 cakes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of Mazola Corn Oil. Place 4 crab cakes into the skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining crab cakes.
- Mix remaining Greek yogurt, mustard and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until well blended. Serve crab cakes warm with dipping sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 181Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 75mgSodium 496mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 19g
The next time you’re craving seafood, try my lightened up crab cakes. Also, make sure to visit Mazola.com for more delicious recipes.
You May Also Like