It’s wedding season! Are the invites rolling in? The first thought that crosses my mind when I open the invite is, “What can I wear to a summer wedding without breaking the bank and upstaging the bride?” That’s a long thought! Hey, just because it’s not your day doesn’t mean you can’t look stunning!
The main reason I have weddings on the brain is because my baby girl recently got married!
It seems like it was just yesterday that she got engaged. Actually, it was a year and a half ago! Of course, I’ll share a “She Said Yes” photo. These are photos my daughter took with her phone to share with the world via Instagram and Facebook. 🙂
Another reason I have weddings on the brain is because I had a contest on my Facebook page last month: I asked my readers to “Name one subject you would like for me to write about on my blog. I gave away a $25.00 Amazon gift card to the randomly chosen winner, Donna Porter! One of the subjects she wanted me to write about was weddings, so here goes.
First of all, let’s look at some do’s and don’t’s:
It’s A Do!
- Use good judgment – Keep it simple and refined.
- Wear cute, comfortable shoes (You’ll probably be mingling, standing, etc. a lot).
- Embrace soft, summer colors OR
- Wear bright prints (just not too bold) -think floaty floral numbers and floor-sweeping maxis.
It’s A Don’t!
- Don’t go too short.
- Don’t go too flashy – it’s too distracting.
- Don’t wear white or cream (White is reserved for the bride only unless you’ve been specifically asked to wear white).
- Don’t wear heels to an outside affair (you’ll sink into the grass, trip, fall, skin your knees, bleed, cry).
- Don’t wear black to a morning or afternoon wedding (evening is fine).
- Don’t show your boobs! That goes for the bride, too. I’ve been to far too many weddings where too much boobage was showing. That’s what tailors are for.
- Sequins belong to the night, not the morning or afternoon
- Denim – unless it’s a denim themed wedding – is always a don’t
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s try to decode that invitation:
- Casual daytime wedding: Sundress (throw on a shrug if you’re not ready to bare your arms), linen pants suit, maxi
- Semi-Formal: Cocktail Dress
- Formal: A floor length or dark colored cocktail dress
- Black Tie: An evening gown or really, really nice cocktail dress
- White Tie: Evening gown only with awesome accessories