Did you know that October 20th is World Osteoporosis Day? Osteoporosis is a medical condition in which the bones become brittle and fragile from loss of tissue.
I don’t know about you, but I’m doing everything in my power to keep osteoporosis at bay and to keep my bones healthy.
When I was growing up, plums were, hands down, my favorite snack. As soon as the plums had ripened, my cousins and I would grab a brown paper bag and fill it up with those delicious little orbs.
These days, I love plums any way I can get them, whether fresh or dried. I recently discovered that dried plums have many bone and health benefits and I’ve decided to be sure and add them as a daily snack for better health. Once you see the health benefits of dried plums, you’ll want to snack on them, too.
5 Bone Health Benefits of Eating Dried Plums
- Research suggests that eating two servings, (about 100grams or 10 to 12 dried plums), may improve bone mineral density (BMD) and slow the rate of bone turnover in post-menopausal women. Source
- New research shows eating half that amount, just slightly more than one serving, about 50 grams or 5 to 6 dried plums), may help maintain bone loss in post-menopausal women. Source
- Vitamin K helps improve calcium balance and promotes bone mineralization. A 40gram serving of dried plums (4-5 prunes; about 100 calories) is considered an excellent source of Vitamin K, which provides 30% of the 80mcg Daily Value.
- Incorporating California dried plums as a regular part of nutritious food choices may support healthy bones. They contain vitamins and minerals such as potassium, copper, boron and vitamin K which may have bone protective effects.
- Dried plums may help manage weight through improved satiety perhaps by producing lower glucose and/or appetite-regulating hormone concentrations.
Dried plums not only help support healthy bones, but California Dried Plums are The Whole Package: a naturally sweet, convenient and nutrient-dense snack and a versatile culinary ingredient. Emerging research suggests dried plums may also support heart health, digestive health, immunity and healthy aging. California Dried Plums are naturally cholesterol-free and are a unique product, grown and harvested naturally and exclusively in the golden state. To see how versatile California Dried Plums are, visit the culinary website for delicious recipes and more. I’ve seen several that I want to try ASAP. You can also follow California Dried Plums on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Youtube.
I am participating in a VIN campaign for California Dried Plums. I am receiving a fee for posting; however, the opinions expressed in this post are my own. I am in no way affiliated with California Dried Plums and do not earn a commission or percent of sales.