Country Ham Grit Cakes With Sweet Mustard Sauce is sponsored by Clifty Farm. All opinions are my own.
Grit cakes are lightly pan-fried and topped with slices of delicious country ham and drizzled with a slightly sweet mustard sauce.
Appetizers are my jam and Country Ham Grit Cakes With Sweet Mustard Sauce are a huge favorite. Top grit cakes (yes, it’s a thing) with slices of flavorful country ham and drizzle with a sweet mustard sauce. Yum! Appetizers just went up a notch.
We southerners love our grits and country ham for breakfast. Country Ham Grit Cakes takes our favorite breakfast to new heights. Move over, crostini. There’s a new appetizer in town.
What is Country Ham?
Country ham is ham preserved by curing and smoking. Country ham has a rich flavor and is dry-cured over a period of time, often for months.
Curing hams and meats was once a necessity. I remember way back when my grandpa had a smokehouse. He smoked hams before refrigeration was a thing and he was still smoking hams when I was a little girl. I have so many fond memories of those days.
The Best Country Ham
When it comes to country ham, Clifty Farm is the best! The secret to the great taste of Clifty Farm Country Meats is their curing process. I don’t know the secret but I do know that this country ham is delicious.
You can find Clifty Farm Country Meats at your favorite southeast grocery stores. You can also order online from their website.
Country Ham Grit Cakes With Sweet Mustard Sauce
Grit cakes are easy to make.
After preparing stone-ground grits, pour them into a 13×9 baking dish. Let cool and place in the refrigerator overnight.
After the grits have firmed up in the refrigerator (several hours or overnight) cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter.
Pan-fry until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. (I use stone-ground white grits ground in a traditional stone mill right here in South Carolina.)
For this recipe, you will need a package of Clifty Farm Country Ham Biscuit Slices. I love the convenience of these pre-sliced packages. And, the cooking instructions are right on the front of the package. It only takes about 2-1/2 minutes per side to cook the country ham slices in a skillet.
I like to make the sweet mustard sauce (and the grits )a day in advance. To make the sauce, I whisk light brown sugar and apple cider vinegar together. Then I add dijon mustard and whisk it all together. The sweet mustard sauce is refrigerated until ready to serve.
How To Serve Country Ham Grit Cakes
Place a grit cake on a plate. Roll a slice of ham and add it to the grit cake. Top with a drizzle of sweet mustard sauce. Garnish with chives if desired.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- I package Clifty Farm Country Ham Biscuit Slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cola
Sweet Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Make the mustard sauce and grits a day in advance. To make the mustard sauce, combine the light brown sugar with the apple cider vinegar. Whisk together and add the Dijon mustard. Whisk until combined. Store in the refrigerator.
- To cook the grits, bring chicken broth and milk to a boil. Stir in grits and salt. Return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes. Stir in cheese. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and let cool. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cut rounds of grits with a biscuit cutter. Dredge with flour (shaking off access). Add 1/4 inch vegetable oil to a skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Fry the grit cakes until lightly browned on both sides, for about 5 minutes total.
- In another skillet, on medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup cola. Cook ham slices for about 2-1/2 minutes per side.
- Top grit cakes with country ham slices and a drizzle of sweet mustard sauce. Garnish with chives if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 24mgSodium 683mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 7g
To find more delicious recipes, follow Clifty Farm on social media. Click the links below to follow!
Make sure you grab this coupon to get $1 off Clifty Farm Country Meats!