Heat up that grill, the panini press, or grab your grill pan! It’s Meatless Monday and I’m sharing not one, not two, but a trio of grilled sandwiches. You won’t miss the meat, at all. I promise!
To be frank, I’m not much of a traditional sandwich person. Two of my daughters and I love anything that resembles bruschetta. When my daughter asked for brie and tomato sandwiches for her 25th birthday party, I made all three of these sandwiches They were a smashing success!
Next time you are planning a casual get-together or lunch, make one, two, or all three of these grilled sandwiches. Your friends and family will thank you!
- 1 med. Zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 6 slices
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 (2 oz each) Ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 med. tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat a large grill pan over med. high heat. Place zucchini in a shallow dish. Add 2 tsp. oil and garlic. Toss to coat. Arrange zucchini in a grill pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side until grill marks appear. Cut each zucchini in half crosswise. Return to the shallow dish. Drizzle with vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brush bottom halves of rolls with remaining 2 tsp. oil. Top evenly with zucchini, basil, tomato and mozzarella. Brush cut side of roll tops with the remaining liquid from the shallow dish. Place on sandwiches. Heat in grill pan until warm.