Heat up that grill, the panini press, or grab your grill pan! It’s Meatless Monday and I’m sharing not one, not two, but a trio of grilled sandwiches. You won’t miss the meat, at all. I promise!
To be frank, I’m not much of a traditional sandwich person. Two of my daughters and I love anything that resembles bruschetta. When my daughter asked for brie and tomato sandwiches for her 25th birthday party, I made all three of these sandwiches. They were a smashing success!
Next time you are planning a casual get-together or lunch, make one, two, or all three of these grilled sandwiches. Your friends and family will thank you!
Grilled Tomato and Brie
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 oz. brie cheese
- 1-1/3 cup packaged baby arugula & spinach leaves
- 8 slices tomato (1/4" thick)
- cooking spray
- Heat grill on high (or use a grill pan on the stovetop, heat to med/high).
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and rub with the cut side of garlic. Spread 1/2 tsp. mustard on the non-oiled side of four of the slices of bread (oiled side facing down). Top each bread slice with 1 oz. cheese, 1/3 cup greens, and two tomato slices. Top each with a slice of bread, oil side up.
- Place sandwich on grill rack (coated with cooking spray). Grill for two minutes on each side or until lightly brown and the cheese is melted.
Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Split Sandwich
- 2 slices firm white bread
- 1 tsp butter, softened
- 1 T creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 large strawberry, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small banana, sliced lengthwise into three slices
- 1 T pineapple jam
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with the softened butter. Combine the peanut butter and honey. Spread over non-buttered side of one bread slice. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, top with strawberry and banana slices. Spread pineapple jam on plain side of the other slice of bread. Carefully assemble sandwiches. Use a non-stick small skillet or grill pan and cook on med/high heat for about two minutes or until lightly browned.
Grilled Zucchini Caprese
- 1 med. Zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 6 slices
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 (2 oz each) Ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 med. tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat a large grill pan over med. high heat. Place zucchini in a shallow dish. Add 2 tsp. oil and garlic. Toss to coat. Arrange zucchini in a grill pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side until grill marks appear. Cut each zucchini in half crosswise. Return to the shallow dish. Drizzle with vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brush bottom halves of rolls with remaining 2 tsp. oil. Top evenly with zucchini, basil, tomato and mozzarella. Brush cut side of roll tops with the remaining liquid from the shallow dish. Place on sandwiches. Heat in grill pan until warm.