Do you ever wake up, look at the clock and see that it’s only slightly after midnight?
After going to the bathroom twice, mind you, and tossing and turning and wondering what in the world has awakened me at 2:00 am and willing my mind to stay asleep, the wheels of my brain slowly begin to turn and I can almost hear the little caboose singing, “I think I can, I think I can!”
Nooooooo! Once my mind is fully awake, it’s a done deal. I’m not going back to sleep. But it’s only 2:00 am, slightly past midnight!
Mama always said that nothing good happens after midnight.
So I’m now wide awake and blogging! And it’s my birthday (August 14). And I need all the beauty sleep I can get because I’m 50 plus! 🙂
Note to self: Never eat a huge bowl of watermelon at night, even if it’s a couple of hours before going to bed. Eating watermelon is the same thing as taking a diuretic. Do people actually take water pills anymore?
And the noise that seemed to be the front door opening and closing was just the house settling. Which brings me to a whole new set of questions: Why does the house only settle at night? Why am I awake? It’s now officially 3:17 AM. Thank you for that info, Mr. Laptop.
Here’s why: I get the best ideas for my blog, party planning, and for life, in general, after midnight. But I’m not a night owl, far from it. I’m a fall asleep at 9:15 on the couch sort of girl.
I’m a get up by 5 am kind of girl, even when I’m on vacation.
And why am I already getting happy birthday wishes on Facebook? I mean, is the entire free world up this early?
Have I been missing out on something by going to bed between 9:30 and 10:00 (after I wake up from my 15-minute tucked-under-the-throw nap on the couch.) What exactly does happen after midnight?
8 Things That Happen After Midnight In My Neck of The Woods
1. My neighbors mow their lawn or work on their car which requires racing the motor very loudly.
Honestly, they mow their lawn after dark (maybe not at midnight but it’s always after I’m in bed). Isn’t there an ordinance against that? My bedroom is on the side next to their house. I live in the country and we don’t have HOAs.
2. Every cat in the neighborhood plans a party in my yard.
And I think it’s a hanky panky party – if you get my drift. Spay and neuter, people, and keep those animals at home!
3. Two pit bulls try to tear the siding off of our house.
It’s true. I believe they were chasing the cats – see #2. When pit bulls try to tear the siding off of a house, they sound like burglars. When they sound like burglars, daughter #3 goes berserk and calls 911.
(Yes, one of those Direct TV commercials is now weaving its way through my sleep-deprived mind.)
4. Around four in the morning, I hear someone walking on our back deck.
For a slight nanosecond, I was mortified as I imagined a knife and gun-wielding robber breaking down my back door. Once I worked up the courage to look out the window (can you say wimp) I saw two prancing unicorns that really turned out to be two big, beautiful Great Danes.
What is it with pairs of dogs roaming freely around my house? Where did they come from and can I keep them?
5. It’s really cold after midnight.
At least in my house. My husband insists that our house transforms into an igloo at night. Hold that thought while I drape myself with a throw from the couch. I can’t feel my feet and the bottom portion of my legs.
6. Who are those people driving down the street at 3:28 am?
Where are they going?
7. Someone on Facebook just invited me to play Jackpot Slots!
Really? For the gazillionth time, I don’t play games! And why are they up? Why?
8. And maybe, just maybe, I’m not my usual pleasant self After Midnight
I may be a tad grouchy after midnight. I don’t know about you, but I’m about to curl up on the couch with my blankie and watch dumb face cream and weight loss infomercials until I fall back to sleep.
And, as always, I have a song for that! Yes, I do! It’s been screaming to get out of my head ever since I woke up at 2:00 am and it’s now officially 3:41 am, just in case you are wondering.
I’m dedicating “After Midnight” to all the dogs and cats that love to party in my yard!
Tips On How To Get A Good Night’s Sleep
If you’re constantly waking up after midnight, some of these tips may help you get a good night’s sleep!
- Don’t consume coffee late in the day. This one works for me but my husband can drink two cups of coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby. This tip is worth a try.
- Don’t eat or drink late in the evening. (Remember my huge bowl of watermelon?)
- Make sure you have a comfortable pillow, mattress, and bed. I have all these things.
- Avoid napping during the day.
- You could have sleep apnea. Visit your doctor to check for sleep apnea or if you have insomnia every single night.