Looking to add some festive cheer to your holiday baking? Look no further than these adorable reindeer sugar cookies! These treats are perfect for a holiday party, a family gathering, or just a cozy night in.
Get ready to infuse your holiday season with a dash of charm and a whole lot of sweetness. Our simple and scrumptious sugar cookie recipe is the perfect canvas for creating adorable reindeer-inspired treats that both kids and adults will adore.
The kids will want to help decorate these cute reindeer cookies! You don’t even need any cookie cutters to make these adorable reindeer.
To save time, you can even use a log or two of store-bought refrigerated sugar cookie dough.
To make delicious reindeer sugar cookies, you will need a few key ingredients. These include:
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- chocolate chips
- coconut oil (just a teaspoon full)
- mini red M&M’s OR cinnamon candies
Steps For Making Whimsical Reindeer Sugar Cookies
Prepare the Simple Sugar Cookie Dough
To make delicious reindeer sugar cookies, you need to start with the perfect dough. Here’s how to prepare the dough for your cookies.
Mix The Wet Ingredients And The Dry Ingredients
In the bowl of a stand mixer, on medium speed, combine the softened butter and sugar. Cream until smooth.
Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Add in all the flour and baking powder – mix on low speed until well combined.
Chill the Dough
On a strip of plastic wrap, shape the dough into a log about 2 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap tightly and chill for an hour.
Slice And Bake The Cookies
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
Remove the log of dough from the refrigerator. Use a sharp knife, to slice the dough into ½-inch wide slices.
Place the cookies on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes. The edges should be set and just slightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.
Decorate The Cookies
Adding the reindeer face is super easy. You’ll need to microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil for the eyes and antlers. Red M&M’s OR cinnamon candies are perfect for the Rudolf the Reindeer nose.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat for about 30 seconds at a time and stir well between each interval until smooth. Transfer the melted chocolate to a piping bag (or ziploc). Cut a small hole in the end of the bag.
Pipe the reindeer antlers, two eyes, and one small dot for the nose.
Place the red candy on the dot for the nose before the chocolate sets.
Storing and Serving the Cookies
Storing the Cookies
To keep your reindeer sugar cookies fresh and delicious, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
You can also freeze the cookies for up to three months by placing them in a freezer-safe container or bag. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply thaw the cookies at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
Reindeer sugar cookies are a holiday favorite! These fun cookies are sure to add some holiday cheer to your dessert table. They pair perfectly with hot chocolate and make a great addition to your next holiday party or cookie swap.
If you are hosting a cookie swap or have been invited to a swap party, these are the perfect cookies to bake.
These holiday cookies are also delicious when paired with a good cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk. These Christmas cookies are sure to be a hit at any holiday gathering or as a sweet treat for your family.
Alternative Cookie Ideas
If you’re looking for something a little different than traditional reindeer sugar cookies, there are plenty of alternative cookie ideas to try out. Here are a few options to consider:
Premade Sugar Cookie Dough: If you want to save time and effort, consider using premade sugar cookie dough. You can find this in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Simply roll out the dough, cut, and bake according to the package instructions. Decorate according to the instructions in the recipe card below.
Gingerbread Cookies: Another classic holiday cookie is gingerbread. You can use a gingerbread cookie recipe to make cut-out cookies in various shapes, such as gingerbread men, trees, and more. Gingerbread cookies have a warm, spiced flavor that is perfect for the holiday season.
Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies: If you want to stick with sugar cookies but want to change up the shape, consider making Christmas tree sugar cookies. Simply use a tree-shaped cookie cutter and decorate cookies with green icing, sprinkles, and other festive toppings.
You’ll Also Love These Delicious Recipes!
- Chocolate Reindeer Cupcakes
- DIY Reindeer Treat Bags
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- Malted Milk Ball Cookies With Toffee Bits
- Mint Chocolate Pudding Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 20ish mini red M&M’s OR cinnamon candies
- To make the cookie dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar. Cream until smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth and well combined.
- Add in all the flour and baking powder - mix on low speed until combined.
- Shape the dough into a log about 2 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Remove the log of dough from the refrigerator and using a sharp knife, slice the dough into ½-inch wide discs.
- Place the cookies on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes. The edges should be set and just slightly browned. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat for about 30 seconds at a time and stir well between each interval until smooth.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a piping bag (or ziploc).
- Cut a small hole in the end of the bag. Pipe the reindeer antlers, two eyes, and one small dot for the nose. Place the red candy on the dot for the nose before the chocolate sets.
- Allow the chocolate to set before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 218Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 34mgSodium 32mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 2g