When you combine my two favorites – pizza and pesto – you have a winning combination. Chicken Pesto Pizza takes pizza to a whole new level.
When the kids were small and my husband was finishing Bible college, he went to school during the mornings and straight to his job as a manager at the Tulsa World and Tribune. He often worked late hours, so every Friday night was pizza and a movie night for the kids and me. Back then, we had pizza delivered from our neighborhood Pizza Hut.
When we moved back to the southeast to a small town in the Carolinas, the kids wanted to resume our Friday night tradition. I had to break it down to them that we were not in Tulsa any longer and there was no pizza delivery out in the country. So, we’d have to make a pizza run. Eventually, the kids grew up and Friday night lights replaced our pizza night.
These days, I like to make my own pizza. I rarely make homemade dough. I use Pillsbury pizza dough from the refrigerated section of the grocery store when I make Chicken Pesto Pizza. You could make your own dough, of course – whatever floats your boat, but this one works fine for me.
Chicken Pesto Pizza
If you’re using the Pillsbury pizza dough, heat the oven to 400º F. Grease a cookie sheet and unroll the dough, forming it to your desired shape and thickness. Prebake the dough for 8 minutes.
While the dough is baking, spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken cubes and cook on medium, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add thinly sliced onions and pesto. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken cubes are cooked through. Stir in diced tomatoes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Helpful Hint: For this recipe, I use premade pesto. Of course, feel free to make your own.
Spread chicken mixture evenly over dough to within an inch of the edges. Sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese blend. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Pillsbury Refrigerated Pizza Crust Dough (13.8 oz)
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, cubed
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Heat oven to 400º F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Unroll pizza dough onto cookie sheet. Form to desired shape and thickness.
- Pre-bake the dough for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the cubed chicken and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add onions and pesto. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in tomatoes, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Spread chicken mixture evenly over the dough, within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is dark golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 235Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 55mgSodium 215mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 19g
You May Also Like