Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes With Nutella Buttercream is a decadent dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth. These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday party, a baby shower, or just a special treat for yourself.
The combination of rich chocolate and creamy Nutella is a match made in heaven.
The recipe for these cupcakes is simple and easy to follow, making them a great choice for novices or experienced bakers. The cupcakes are made with a basic chocolate batter.
After the cupcakes have cooled, the middle is removed with a cupcake corer or knife and Nutella is piped into the center.
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes are topped with a delicious Swirled Nutella buttercream frosting, which is also easy to make. The result is a moist and flavorful cupcake that your family will love.
Whether you are a chocolate lover or a Nutella fan, these cupcakes are sure to be a hit. They are perfect for sharing with friends and family, or for indulging in on your own.
The Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes are made with a combination of chocolate and Nutella, resulting in a rich, decadent flavor. Here are the ingredients needed to make the cupcakes:
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- hot water
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup Nutella
Vanilla Nutella Swirl Buttercream
- softened butter
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
Preparation Steps (Full printable recipe card is located at the bottom of this post)
Preheat the oven to 350º F. and prepare a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
Add the cocoa powder to 1 cup of hot water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside and allow it to cool at room temperature until ready to use.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar and vegetable oil until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
When the cocoa powder and water mixture has reached room temperature, slowly add to the rest of the batter until completely combined.
Fill each cupcake liner about 2⁄3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
How To Make The Nutella Swirl Buttercream
Beat the butter and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Gradually add 3 cups of powdered sugar until completely combined.
Transfer 1⁄2 of the buttercream to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the Nutella and cocoa powder to the remaining buttercream. Mix until completely combined.
Use a cupcake or apple corer (you can also use a knife) to remove the center of each cupcake. Be extra careful not to remove the bottom.
Spoon the Nutella into a piping bag and fill the center of each cupcake.
Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag with the Nutella buttercream on one side and the vanilla on the other side. Pipe onto each cupcake.
When baking Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream, I like to gather all the necessary tools and ingredients together. This includes cupcake liners, a muffin pan, filling ingredients, and a piping bag with a star tip.
To make perfect cupcakes, it’s important to use the right size cupcake tin and fill each liner with the same amount of batter. Using a cookie scoop can help ensure consistency.
When filling the center of the cupcakes, a piping bag is your best friend. It makes things so much easier.
It’s also important to not overfill the cupcake tins, as they may spill over during baking.
To freeze cupcakes in advance, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place them in an airtight container. When ready to serve, allow them to thaw at room temperature before frosting.
Tips and Substitutions
When making Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream, there are a few tips and substitutions that can help make the process smoother and more enjoyable.
- To ensure the cupcakes come out moist and fluffy, do not overmix the batter. Mix until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter evenly into the cupcake liners.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting to prevent the buttercream from melting.
- For a more intense Nutella flavor, add an extra tablespoon of Nutella to the buttercream frosting.
- For a classic look, use a star tip to pipe swirls of frosting onto the cupcakes. Alternatively, use a round tip to create a smooth dome of frosting on top of each cupcake.
- To add some extra texture and crunch, sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the top of the cupcakes. This will also give a hint of nutty flavor to the cupcakes.
- If you don’t have Nutella on hand, you can substitute it with any chocolate hazelnut spread.
- To make the cupcakes gluten-free, substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- For a dairy-free option, use non-dairy milk and substitute the butter with a vegan butter alternative.
More Delicious Recipes!
- 20 Best Frosting Recipes
- Lemon Cupcakes With Lemon Buttercream
- Citrus Cupcakes With Citrus Buttercream
- Best Ever Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
Vanilla Nutella Swirl Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup nutella
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1. To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350º F and prepare a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add the cocoa powder to 1 cup of hot water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the granulated sugar and vegetable oil until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the flour/baking powder and mix until combined. Slowly add the cocoa powder and water mixture until completely combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the Nutella Swirl Buttercream Frosting: Beat the butter and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Gradually add three cups of powdered sugar until completely combined. Transfer 1/2 of the buttercream to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the Nutella and cocoa powder to the remaining buttercream and mix until completely combined.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Use a cupcake or apple corer (or knife) to remove the center of each cupcake, being careful not to cut through the bottom. Place the 1/2 cup Nutella in a piping bag and fill the center of each cupcake. Transfer the two buttercream frostings to a piping bag with the Nutella frosting on one side and the vanilla buttercream on the other. As you pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, you will get the swirl effect.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 558Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 73mgSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 2gSugar 55gProtein 5g