Red Velvet Heart Shaped Cookies are the perfect Valentine’s Day cookies! These are the easiest cutout cookies you’ll ever make. At least, they are for me.
I don’t make cutout cookies very often because I’ve had way too many fails. But these cookies are fail-proof.
Also, you’ll need only three ingredients for these Red Velvet Heart Shaped Cookies. And it all begins with a red velvet cake mix. Yep – cutout cookies from a cake mix.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Red Velvet Heart Shaped Cookies
As I was thinking about making these cookies, I knew I had to throw some cream cheese frosting in there somewhere. It’s my favorite. So, I decided to add the frosting as a filling between two cookies.
I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Red Velvet Cake Mix for this recipe. This recipe makes 26 cookies that are approximately 1/8″ thick. Once sandwiched together, that means you’ll have 13 cookies. If you need more cookies, double the recipe.
Chill the Dough First
To roll out the cookies, I placed the chilled dough (the dough MUST be chilled) on wax paper and used my trusty wooden rolling pin. It’s so easy and the dough didn’t stick to the rolling pin or the paper.
Helpful Hint: When I make these cookies, I chill the dough for at least 20 minutes. Then I take 1/2 of the dough from the fridge and leave the other half chilling. Once the cookies were cut out, they were put back in the fridge to wait their turn to bake.
Let’s Make Red Velvet Heart Shaped Cookies
Combine the cake mix, softened butter and an egg in a mixing bowl. Beat until it forms a dough, about 2 minutes. Place dough in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes.
Remove half the dough from the refrigerator and roll out to 1/8″ thick. Cut with a medium-sized heart-shaped cookie cutter.
Place the cutout cookies on a parchment-lined baking pan, about one inch apart. Place them back in the refrigerator while you roll out the other half of the dough. I use three cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 minutes and cool for one minute before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Combine the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium until combined. Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Spread about a tablespoon and a half of frosting onto the flat side of a cookie. I just eyeball it so it may be a little more than that. Top with another cookie, flat side down.
Note: You will probably have some cream cheese frosting leftover. I always do. Refrigerate the frosting and use it for a fruit dip. Yum!
- 1 Betty Crocker Super Moist Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- With an electric mixer, mix the cake mix, egg and butter until it forms a dough, about 2 minutes.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 of the dough and roll out to 1/8" thick. Cut with a medium heart shaped cookie cutter. Be sure to combine the strips of cookie dough that are left and re-roll.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator while you roll out the remaining dough.
- Bake at 350º for 8 minutes. Cool for one minute on the baking sheet placed on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter on medium until well combined. Add the powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Place about 1-1/2 Tablespoons frosting on the flat side of a cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down. Store in the refrigerator.
These Red Velvet Heart Shaped Cookies are a big hit with the family! They would be perfect for Valentine’s Day! What’s your favorite cookie?
You May Also Like