Red Velvet is one of my family’s favorite flavors. I make delicious red velvet cupcakes and a scrumptious red velvet cake. I also make amazing lemon squares and several of my kids ask for these instead of a traditional cake when their birthday rolls around. What does lemon squares have to do with red velvet squares? Everything!
One day, I was thinking about how delicious lemon squares are and how easy they are to make. On the other hand, homemade red velvet cake is a little more detailed. Then it hit me! Why not make red velvet squares using my lemon squares recipe? Of course, I substituted the lemon cake mix with a red velvet mix (ain’t no shame in my cake mix game). The rest of the ingredients stay the same.
Don’t stop at red velvet. You can use this same recipe to make any flavor bars. If red velvet’s not your thing (gasp!), then use another flavor. It’s all good!
Red Velvet Squares
Mix cake mix, butter, and one egg together. I use my stand mixer and mix on low speed. Spread the mixture in an ungreased 9″ x 13″ pan.
Beat two eggs and softened cream cheese until smooth. Add a pinch of salt, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Spread over the cake mix layer.
Bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting into squares.
I could make this recipe in my sleep. I know all ovens are different, but my red velvet squares (and lemon squares) are perfectly cooked at exactly 40 minutes.
- 1 package red velvet cake mix
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- dash of salt
- 1 box powdered sugar (16 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix cake mix, butter and 1 egg together. Mix on low with electric mixer until smooth. Spread the mixture in an ungreased 9" x 13" pan.
- Cream two eggs and cream cheese together until well combined. Add salt, powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread over the cake mixture.
- Bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting into squares.
Amount Per Serving Calories 222Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 94mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 3g
You May Also Like
This recipe is found at the bottom of the Red Velvet Cupcakes post.