Chocolate Heath Bar Trifle has layers of chocolate cake, pudding, whipped topping, and crushed Heath bars. It’s a family favorite.
I have been making Chocolate Heath Bar Trifle for years. This is one of those dessert recipes that is requested over and over. I’m always hearing, “Mom, please make your chocolate trifle.”
A few days ago, my daughter asked me to make this trifle and lemon squares for her casual office party. She offered to pay me but that’s not happening. It’s a labor of love. And that’s why it’s in a pretty unbreakable bowl instead of my trifle dish.
My daughter and her business partner host a Christmas party for their employees during the holiday season. The meal is catered but she wanted me to do the desserts. Of course, I said yes.
This recipe is so easy. Here’s what you will need to make Chocolate Heath Bar Trifle. Feel free to skip this part and scroll down to the actual recipe.
- Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Strong Coffee
- Whipped Topping
- Heath Bars
Chocolate Heath Bar Trifle
Bake the chocolate cake in a 13x9x2-inch pan, according to the directions on the packaging. While the cake is baking, mix the pudding according to package directions.
Once the cake has cooled, crumble cake, reserving 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining crumbs in the bottom of a 5-quart trifle dish or glass bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 of the prepared coffee over the cake.
Add half of the chocolate pudding.
Top with 1/2 of the whipped topping.
Add half of the crushed Heath bars.
Repeat layers. Sprinkle the reserved cake crumbs on top and refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving.
How To Crush Candy Bars
There are different ways to crush candy bars. You can place candy bars in a plastic ziplock bag and use a rolling pin. I prefer to use a small hammer.
Unwrap the candy bars and place them in a plastic bag and seal. Use a hammer (or rolling pin) to crush the candy bars.
You can also use a meat tenderizer mallet to crush the candy bars.
How to Make Homemade Cool Whip
I use store-bought whipped topping for this recipe. If you’d rather have homemade, it’s easy to make your own.
Don’t confuse whipped topping with whipped cream. It’s not made the same way and here is a great recipe for a homemade whipped topping.
- 1 Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 1 (5.9 oz.) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk (for making pudding)
- 1/2 cup prepared strong coffee
- 1 (16 oz.) container Frozen Whipped Topping, thawed
- 1 (10.2) package Heath Bar Miniatures, crushed
- Bake chocolate fudge cake in a 13x9x2-inch pan, according to the directions on the package. Let cool.
- Prepare instant pudding according to directions on the box.
- Crumble cake, reserving 1/2 cup crumbs.
- Place half of the remaining crumbs in the bottom of a 5-quart trifle dish. Spoon half of the prepared coffee over the cake. Layer half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat layers.
- Top with reserved cake crumbs. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 187Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 18mgSodium 159mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 15gProtein 3g
You May Also Like