Skillet Chicken Fajitas are quick and easy to make. Homemade fajita seasoning is sprinkled over chicken, onion, and peppers. These fajitas are cooked to perfection in a cast-iron skillet, then served on warm tortillas. Top these fajitas with your favorite toppings.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Skillet Fajitas
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Sweet Onion (I like to use Vidalia onions when they are available)
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Poblano Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Flour Tortillas
Tips For Making Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Make sure the chicken reaches the correct doneness. The internal temperature (165º F) is always the same when cooking chicken.
- If it looks like a lot of peppers and onions, it’s not. Trust me, it’s the perfect amount.
- Always try to cut the vegetables the same size. Also, don’t cut the chicken or vegetables into overly large chunks. This will make it hard for filling the tortilla and taking bites. Bite-size pieces are the way to go. Remember, the peppers and onions shrink, so they won’t be near as big once they’re done – cut accordingly.
Steps For Making Skillet Fajitas
Combine spices in a bowl and mix well.
Preheat olive oil in a cast iron (or non-stick) skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with the spices, saving about 1/4 of the seasoning for the veggies.
Cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes on each side, or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees. While the chicken is cooking, cut the onion and peppers into strips.
Once the chicken is done, remove it from the skillet. Add the vegetables to the skillet and sprinkle them with the remaining seasoning. Saute for 8-10 minutes until they are crisp-tender, stirring often.
When the vegetables are almost done, slice the chicken into thin strips. Once the veggies are done, add the chicken back into the skillet and gently toss and heat through. Remove from heat. Heat tortillas and fill them with the fajita mixture and toppings of your choice.
Best Ways To Heat Tortillas
Oven – Heat the oven to 350º F. Wrap a stack of 6 tortillas in aluminum foil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Over An Open Flame – Don’t be intimidated by your gas stove. Turn on a gas burner on your stovetop to medium-low. Carefully, with tongs, place a tortilla directly over the flame. Let cook for about 15 seconds and then flip the tortilla to heat the other side. Be very careful when working over an open flame.
In A Cast Iron Skillet – Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla for 15-20 seconds or until heated through.
How To Store Leftover Chicken Fajitas
- You can freeze the fajitas for up to 2 months in a sealed, airtight container. You can store these in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Check Out More Of My Delicious Recipes Below!
- Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Fajitas
- Best Baked Spaghetti
- Skillet Cinnamon Roll Cake
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas are tender, delicious, and easy to make. This is the perfect 30-minute meal.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- flour tortillas
- sour cream
- avocado slices or guacamole
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Combine the spices in a bowl and stir to mix well.
- Season the chicken with the spices, saving about a fourth of it for the vegetables.
- Cook the chicken for about 8-10 minutes on each side, or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut the onion and peppers into strips.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the skillet. Add the vegetables to the skillet and sprinkle them with the remaining seasoning.
- Saute the veggies for 8-10 minutes until they are crisp-tender, stirring often.
- While the vegetables cook, slice the chicken into thin strips.
- When the vegetables are almost done, add the chicken back to the skillet and mix until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave or on the stovetop and fill them with the fajita mixture and optional toppings.
Amount Per Serving Calories 295Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 57mgSodium 553mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 23g