I’ve tasted my fair share of honey bun cakes over the years. Some are just okay, some are dry, and some are really bad. Well, Peggy’s Honey Bun Cake is moist and delicious. If you try it and say it isn’t, it’s you, not the cake. 🙂 Here are some tips to make sure your cakes are always moist.
I’m usually more of a pie or cobbler kind of girl, but I love a cake if it’s moist and has lots of icing or glaze. This one has the perfect amount of glaze and cinnamon. Did I mention how easy it is to make?
When I shared Peggy’s Pineapple Pudding, I mentioned how much I love her Honey Bun Cake. I immediately started getting requests for the recipe. You ask. I deliver. You’re welcome.
Let’s Make a Honey Bun Cake
Peggy’s Honey Bun Cake begins with a yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix. I usually make my cakes from scratch, but hey, I’m all about easy.
Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Pour into a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan.
In a separate bowl, mix together cinnamon and brown sugar. Spoon the mixture on top of the cake batter.
With a knife, swirl the cinnamon mixture into the cake batter. Using the same knife, smooth the top of the cake.
Bake at 350º for 40 minutes.
To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix together and pour over warm cake. I let the cake cool on a wire rack while I mix the glaze ingredients together.
Let cool completely before serving.
Wasn’t that easy?
- 1 box yellow cake mix with pudding
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spoon the brown sugar mixture over the cake batter and use a knife to swirl the mixture into the batter.
- Bake at 350º for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Pour over the warm cake. Let cool completely before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 246Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 37mgSodium 184mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 0gSugar 27gProtein 2g
What’s your favorite cake?