Sometimes you just need a decadent dessert! Well, this is it. Pound Cake Panini with Caramelized Bananas is a quick and easy dessert. The pound cake is crispy, golden brown and served over caramelized bananas.
I was perusing the dessert menu at one of our favorite restaurants and the dessert for the day was Pound Cake Panini. It was served with bananas and a homemade caramel sauce.
I didn’t order the dessert but I did decide to put my own spin on this dessert. Dad’s sour cream pound cake is perfect for the pound cake panini part.
You can use leftover pound cake. Or, buy a Sara Lee pound cake if you’re craving this dessert and don’t want to take the time to make your own pound cake. It’s all good.
What is Panini?
A panini is usually a sandwich made with Italian bread. You can make a panini with a panini press or in a skillet. If using a skillet, you can use a saucepan lid to press the panini sandwich down. Or, you can make a panini just like you make a grilled cheese and forget the pressing. I don’t press.
Pound Cake Panini
To toast a slice of pound cake in a skillet, spread both sides lightly with butter. Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add the pound cake slices and cook, 1-2 minutes per side or until crispy and lightly browned.
Panini For A Crowd
If you’re toasting pound cake slices for a crowd, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Place slices of pound cake on the cookie sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
Instead of serving the bananas plain, I decided to caramelize them.
It’s so easy to caramelize bananas. To toast the pound cake, melt two tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add two sliced bananas and two tablespoons brown sugar. Cook until golden and syrupy, about 4 minutes.
Top With Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
If you’re going to enjoy this decadent dessert, you must top it off with a premium vanilla bean ice cream. Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean is my favorite. I was pumped to see that it’s not only a favorite at my house but it’s number one in this taste test.
- Two small bananas, sliced into discs
- 2 slices pound cake, lightly buttered on both sides
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Two Tablespoons brown sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- Spread both sides of the pound cake slices with butter. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the cake slices and cook, 1-2 minutes per side or until crispy and lightly browned.
- Remove the pound cake from the skillet. In the same skillet, melt two tablespoons butter. Add the sliced bananas and brown sugar. Cook, stirring, until golden and syrupy, about 4 minutes.
- Place caramelized bananas on two serving plates. Top with pound cake slices and top with vanilla bean ice cream.
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 586Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 100mgSodium 378mgCarbohydrates 82gFiber 3gSugar 57gProtein 7g
If you like delicious desserts, you’ll love these recipes below. Just click on the link.