Mini Puff Pastry Tomato Tarts are great any time of the year. The caramelized onions add so much flavor to these easy-to-make tarts.
These little tomato tarts are the perfect appetizers. You can even serve these as a side dish. However you serve them, they are beautiful and delicious.
This recipe makes 6 tarts but it is easy to double this recipe or make as many as you need for a large party.
Puff Pastry Tomato Tarts – Ingredients At A Glance
You can find the full printable recipe card at the end of this post!
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- onion (sweet onions are best! I love to use Vidalia onions.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- egg plus 1 teaspoon water – beaten together to make an egg wash
- tomatoes, thinly sliced
- shredded Mozzarella & Provolone cheese
- Fresh parsley, optional topping
How to Make Puff Pastry Tomato Tarts
Slice the onions.
Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Add sliced onions to the skillet.
Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender and golden brown (this process takes a while- up to 30 minutes). Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425º F. Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough out of puff pastry and place the circles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Brush the egg wash (egg and water) on each pastry circle. Top each circle with a tomato slice and caramelized onions.
Sprinkle each tart with the shredded mozzarella/provolone cheese.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until tarts are puffy and golden brown and cheese is melted. Top with parsley if desired. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips On How To Caramelize Onions
Onions caramelize when they are cooked slowly over an extended period of time. They add a depth of sweetness to this recipe!
- Don’t slice the onions too thinly. They tend to burn when sliced too thinly. Aim for about 1/8 thick.
- Use a combination of butter and olive oil (that’s what you’ll use in this recipe!)
- Cook on medium to medium-low. The process of caramelizing onions is low-and-slow!
- Properly caramelized onions should be soft but not mushy.
You can caramelize the onions ahead of time!
If you’ve ever caramelized onions, you know it takes a little time – up to 30-40 minutes! You can lightly caramelize the onions and it takes about 20 minutes.
Also, this step in the recipe can totally be made ahead of time.
Yes, you can caramelize the onions up to five days ahead of time and store them tightly covered in the fridge. You can also freeze them for up to three months in a freezer-safe ziplock bag.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced in 1/8 inch rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water, beaten together
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella/provolone cheese
- Fresh parsley, optional
- Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onions to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until tender and golden brown (about 20-30 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut circles of dough out of puff pastry. Place the puff pastry circles on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush each pastry circle with egg wash. Top each pastry with a tomato slice.
- Spoon caramelized onions on top of each tomato slice and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tarts are puffy and golden brown and cheese is melted and golden. Top with parsley if desired. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
Caramelized onions can be made up to 5 days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Remove the onions and let them come to room temperature before using in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 49mgSodium 179mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 5g
You May Also Like These Delicious Recipes!
- Appetizer Party Tips & Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Pound Cake Panini
- Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
- Easy Homemade Tomato Soup