Easy Homemade Tomato Soup is made with crushed tomatoes, spices, milk, and cream. This soup is the perfect comfort food for fall and winter.
Sometimes you just want a big bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, especially on a cold day. Easy Homemade Tomato Soup hits the spot and tastes so much better than canned tomato soup.
Once there’s a chill in the air, it’s soup season and I do think I could eat soup every single day. I like to top the soup with easy homemade croutons.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Sweet Onion, chopped (I use Vidalia onions when they are in season)
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Whole milk
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Croutons and grated parmesan (optional garnish)
If sweet onions aren’t available, use a yellow onion.
What To Serve With Homemade Tomato Soup
When I think about making homemade tomato soup, my mind immediately goes to the classic grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a match made in heaven.
However, if you’re not into a grilled cheese sandwich, try one of the following:
- Shrimp Po’ Boy With Creole Dressing
- Tortilla Chips
- French Dip Sandwiches
- Soft, giant pretzels
- Cheese Quesadillas
Helpful Hint: If you want to garnish the tomato soup with croutons, here is a delicious recipe for homemade croutons. Of course, you can buy really good croutons, too.
Can You Freeze Homemade Tomato Soup?
Soups that contain milk or cream (or both in this case) don’t hold well in the freezer. These type soups tend to separate and curdle when reheating.
I rarely have leftovers when I make this soup. Leftover soup will keep for about three days in the fridge in a tightly covered container.
Reheat this soup slowly over low heat, stirring frequently. Boiling may cause ingredients to separate.
Here Are Some More Of My Favorite Soup Recipes
- Delicious Sweet Potato Soup
- Quick & Easy Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Taco Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Best Vegetable Soup
- Grandma’s Brunswick Stew
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 (28 oz. each) cans Italian style crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Grated Parmesan Cheese & Croutons (optional garnish)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add tomatoes, milk, cream, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until soup has slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and croutons.
Amount Per Serving Calories 346Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 88mgSodium 131mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 7g