As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This post, Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes, contains links to products I recommend.
When reindeer and unicorns collide, it’s magical! Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes are whimsical, adorable and delicious. These are the perfect cupcakes for the holidays.
I’m completely on board the unicorn craze. Unicorns are legendary, magical creatures and I think unicorns rule. Add some antlers and you have Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes. These are so cute and are perfect for the holidays.
For the Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes, you’ll need a few decorating items. If you don’t have these items on hand, I’ve included the items and links below.
Items Needed for Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
- Royal Icing Unicorn Horns
- Gold Foiled Antler Cupcake Toppers
- Chocolate Fondant
- White Fondant
- Wilton Decorating Tip #2D
- Wilton Icing Tip #2
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Mat
- Red Premade Cake Icing
- Green Premade Cake Icing
- Edible Gold Spray
- #352 Wilton Leaf Tip
Adorable Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
The recipe steps (below) may be intimidating, but several of the steps are for rolling out the fondant and making the ears. Once you get all the ears made, it’s smooth sailing.
Reminder: You probably know this, but when you cut out the circles for the ears, use the round large end of the icing tips. Duh, I know you know, but I try to make the instructions clear.
Shortcut for Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
If you’re short on time, you can totally leave the ears off and buy premade chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Add the premade unicorn horns and the antlers. Bam – you’re done!
But if you have the time, these cupcakes are so worth the extra effort. I’m not a fondant expert at all, but if I can make these, so can you.
How to Decorate Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
Frost the cooled cupcakes.
Place the antlers on the cupcakes.
Place a unicorn horn in the middle of the frosting, between the antlers.
Place a set of ears on each of the cupcakes, right in front of the antlers. Pipe three red dots on the right side of the frosting in front of the ear. Pipe two leaves behind the red dots, using the green frosting.
Aren’t they adorable?
Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes
Reindeer Unicorn Cupcakes are adorable and will add a whimsical, tasty dessert to your holiday party.
- Premade chocolate fondant (4 oz. package)
- Premade white fondant (4 oz. package)
- Wilton icing tip 2D
- Wilton icing tip #2
- Powdered sugar
- 1 can of edible gold spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, room temp.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large piping bag with a star tip
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a pastry mat and rolling pin.
- Roll out half of both colors of fondant to 1/8" thick.
- Using the large end of a #2D icing tip, cut out 24 chocolate round circles.
- Using the #2 icing tip, cut out 24 white round circles.
- Spray the white circles with the gold edible spray.
- Using a paintbrush, brush a really small amount of water onto the chocolate circles. Place the gold circles into the center of the chocolate circles.
- Carefully lift the chocolate circle and pinch the bottom of the ears. Set aside and repeat with the remaining circles.
- Allow the ears to dry for 2 hours before making the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the vegetable oil and water over low heat.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
Add the oil, water and butter mixture. Beat on low until smooth. Add the egg and beat on low until smooth. Add buttermilk, and vanilla extract. At low speed, beat until smooth. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each one 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350°F for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Let cool slightly and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate frosting, beat butter in mixing bowl on medium for one minute. Gradually add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Continue to mix to combine. Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined.
- To decorate the cupcakes: Frost the cooled cupcakes with the chocolate frosting (use a large piping bag with a star tip). Place the antlers into the cupcake on the sides.
- Place 1 ear on each side of the cupcake in front of the antlers. Place a unicorn horn into the middle of the frosting in between the antlers.
Using the red icing, pipe 3 red dots on the right side of frosting in front of the ear. Pipe two Leafs using the green frosting behind the red dots for the holly.
Amount Per Serving
You May Also Like
Pecan Praline Topped Cheesecake
Peanut Butter Brownie Cupcakes