Decadent chocolate cupcakes are topped with luscious blackberry buttercream. These cupcakes are beautiful and delicious!
If you like blackberries as much as I do, you’re going to love the fresh blackberry buttercream frosting on these cupcakes.
Blackberries are my favorite berries and when I was growing up, I picked many wild blackberries. Whether you buy blackberries from the store, grow your own, or pick them wild, you just can’t beat fresh blackberries.
This blackberry cupcake recipe is perfect for a special occasion like a bridal shower or family gathering.
Ingredients At A Glance For Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes (full printable recipe card down below!)
For the cupcakes you’ll need:
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- unsalted butter – softened
- vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- pure vanilla extract
For the blackberry buttercream frosting you’ll need:
- blackberries – you’ll need a cup of fresh blackberries for this recipe. I like to buy extra to garnish the cupcakes before serving. You can also add a couple of blueberries for even more color.
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- unsalted butter – softened to room temperature
- hand mixer or a stand mixer
- whisk – or you can use a fork
- 12-cup cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- measuring equipment
- medium saucepan
- piping bag
Steps For Making The Chocolate Cupcakes
In a mixing bowl, with a whisk or a fork, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and light. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk.
Beat until combined.
Fill each cupcake liner about 2⁄3 of the way. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Tips For Making Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
This blackberry frosting is so good. You can cook the blackberries and strain them into a bowl the night before. Place in the refrigerator and chill until ready to use.
To strain, place a strainer over a bowl. Pour the blackberry mixture into the strainer. You can use a spatula to stir the fruit around in a circular motion to separate the blackberry puree from the seeds. Discard the seeds.
How do I store Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes?
Cupcakes with buttercream frosting are best eaten the day you make them. They will keep at room temperature for up to two days. Make sure you store the cupcakes in an airtight container. These cupcakes will last 3-5 days when stored in the refrigerator.
If I have leftover cupcakes, I always place them in the fridge, in an airtight container.
Make sure you check out more of my blackberry recipes below!
- Mom’s Blackberry Cobbler
- Blackberry Glazed Grilled Ribs
- Blackberry Lime Cake With Blackberry Buttercream
- Lemon Cupcakes With Lemon Buttercream
- 20 Best Frosting Recipes
Chocolate Blackberry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes are topped with delicious blackberry buttercream and garnished with blackberries.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350° F. Place cupcake liners in a standard 12-count cupcake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl with a whisk, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and light. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- With the mixture on low speed, add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk until completely combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner with the cupcake batter, about 2⁄3 of the way. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to completely cool on a wire rack while making the blackberry buttercream.
- To make the buttercream, add blackberries and lemon juice to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow the mixture to heat up. After 2-3 minutes, mash the blackberries. Let Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Add one Tablespoon of the blackberry sauce at a time until the desired color and flavor are reached. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with berries if desired. Enjoy!
The blackberry sauce can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight.
Use fresh blackberries when making the buttercream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Muffin Pan, 12 Cupcake Pan, 2 Sets of Nonstick Cupcake Trays, Baking Pan for Kitchen Oven, Black
Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating Cake
KitchenAid Classic Series Stand Mixer, 4.5 Q, Onyx Black
Fine Mesh Strainer, Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Sieve, Set of 3 Small Strainers Fine Mesh for Kitchen, Silver Colander Sieve Sifter with Long Handle, 3.2", 5.3", 7.8"
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 83mgSodium 131mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 2gSugar 41gProtein 4g