This Red White and Blue Trifle Dessert is perfect for your next party. It’s so easy to make because it features a ready-made angel food cake. It’s light, creamy, and delicious.
I love patriotic celebrations, especially those that remind us of the brave men and women who keep our country safe and secure. Thanks to all the men and women who serve! We don’t say it often enough, but we love, honor, and appreciate you.
I recently made this trifle to serve at a graduation party hosted by our youth group at church. One of the graduates has joined the Marines so I thought a festive dessert was in order. It was a huge hit and many of the teens have asked for the recipe. Score!
Trifles are always fun to make because they are easy and oh, so tasty. These yummy desserts are simply layers of cake or cookies, fruit, and a creamy filling. If you ever have a bundt cake stick to the pan and fall apart after cooling, just make a trifle. Easy, peasy.
For this recipe, I use an angel food cake. You can also use a pound cake or bake a yellow cake in a 9×13 pan and cube it.
This cake also has fresh strawberries made into a thick, delicious filling. The blueberry layer is blueberry pie filling. Of course, you can also make your own blueberry layer with fresh blueberries. I just happen to have blueberry pie filling on hand.
Red White and Blue Trifle Ingredients
- prepared angel food cake
- coarsely chopped and hulled strawberries
- granulated sugar
- fresh lemon juice
- softened cream cheese
- sweetened condensed milk
- frozen whipped topping, thawed
- blueberry pie filling
- additional strawberries and fresh blueberries, to garnish
Simple Homemade Strawberry Filling
Before assembling the trifle, I make the strawberry filling. It’s so simple and you only need 4 ingredients – hulled and sliced strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
Combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. The strawberries will release juices as they cook.
Boil for 2 minutes to thicken, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. The sauce will continue to thicken up a bit as it cools.
Cream Cheese Filling
While the strawberry sauce is cooling, make the filling by mixing softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk with an electric mixer on low. Fold in whipped topping.
Easy Red White and Blue Trifle Dessert
Using a serrated knife, slice the angel food cake horizontally into two equal layers. If you’re using a pound cake or yellow cake, cut into cubes, if preferred.
Place a layer of cake into a trifle dish or large glass bowl.
Add a layer of strawberry filling.
Top with half of the cream cheese/whipped topping filling. Add another cake layer and a layer of blueberry pie filling.
Top with remaining whipped topping mixture.
You may notice in the photos that I layered the trifle completely different than the instructions. Oops.
I added a cake layer, whipped topping mixture, strawberry filling, whipped topping mixture, the other cake layer, blueberry pie filling and another layer of whipped topping. Basically, I accidentally added an additional layer of the whipped topping mixture and almost didn’t have enough to top the cake.
Garnish with sliced strawberries and blueberries if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Note: I used a small punch bowl because I couldn’t find my trifle dish. I wonder which one of my daughters borrowed it. Hmmm. The punch bowl is smaller at the bottom than the top so it took 2 cans of blueberry pie filling.
If you’re using a smaller bowl, it may only take one can of blueberry pie filling. But buy two cans just in case.
Red White and Blue Trifle
This Red White and Blue Trifle has layers of angel food cake, homemade strawberry sauce, and a cream cheese/whipped topping filling. This pretty trifle is perfect for your next patriotic celebration.
- 1 prepared angel food cake
- 3 cups coarsely chopped hulled strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cans blueberry pie filling
- Additional strawberries and fresh blueberries, to garnish
- Make the strawberry sauce by combining strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Make the filling by combining softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl. Beat until combined. Fold in whipped topping.
- Slice the angel food cake horizontally into two layers, using a serrated knife. Place one layer in a large trifle dish or glass bowl. Add the strawberry filling and top with 1/2 of the whipped topping mixture. Add the second cake layer and top with blueberry pie filling and the remaining whipped topping mixture. Garnish with fresh strawberries and blueberries, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 6mgSodium 68mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 1g
You Will Love These Recipes, Too!
Red White & Blueberry No-Churn Ice Cream
Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Trifle
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies & Patriotic Party