Try My Mocha Punch – It’s Amazing!
Football Sugar Cookies
It takes a little while to ice these cookies, so I would make them the day before or a few hours early. You need time for the icing to dry.
Also, you’ll need the following items to ice the cookies.
Click on the links below to order them from Amazon.
Piping bags fitted with the number 2 tip
Brown gel food coloring
Brown cake spray (this is used at the end to give it a dirty look)
2 bowls to mix the color in
2 Squeeze bottles for the thinned icing
Black edible marker pen
Follow the complete directions for making the football-shaped sugar cookies at the end of this post.
How to Decorate Vintage Football Sugar Cookies
Using an edible marker, draw out where your white lines on the football will be.
Fill in with the thinned brown icing.
Allow to completely dry for 4 hours before doing the final detail.
Once dried, pipe a brown line across the middle and pipe small dots into the middle-lower section of the football. Use the white icing to pipe the white lines on the top of the football.
Dry for 30 minutes. Use the brown cake spray and spray around the edges of the cookie to give it an old and dirty look.
Dry for 10 minutes before enjoying!
- 1 Cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1-1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3 Cups flour
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, almond extract and egg and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Lightly flour a cutting board and begin to knead the dough until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Using the cookie cutter, cut out the shapes and place onto the cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the powder sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla and mix on medium speed.
- If the royal icing is too runny (soup like texture), add in 1/2 C powder sugar.
- Continue to mix until you stiff peaks form.
- Divide the icing between the two bowls.
- Add several drops of the brown gel coloring into one bowl and mix until combined.
- Leave the second bowl white.
- Scoop a little bit of the brown icing into one piping bag and set aside.
- Scoop a little bit of the white icing into the second piping bag and set aside.
- Mix in 2 tsp of water into the white and brown icing and mix until combined.
- Pour the brown icing into a squeeze bottle. Pour the white icing into a squeeze bottle.
- Using the edible marker, outline where your white lines on the football will go.
- With the white icing bag, pipe the outline for the white lines.
- Using the white icing in the squeeze bottle, fill in the white outlines.
- Use the brown icing and pipe an outline around edge of the football and white lines.
- Fill in with the thinned brown icing.
- Allow to completely dry for 4 hours before doing the final detail.
- Once dried, pipe a brown line across the middle and pipe small dots into the middle lower section of the football.
- Use the white icing to pipe the white lines on the top of the football.
- Allow to dry for 30 minutes.
- Use the brown cake spray and spray around the edges of the cookie to give it an old and dirty look.
- Allow to dry for 10 minutes before enjoying!
The number of cookies this recipe makes depends on the size of the cookie cutter.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 28mgSodium 124mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 0gSugar 29gProtein 2g
These Football Sugar Cookies take a little time to make, but they are so worth the effort. These are perfect for a tailgating party, a football viewing party, or a football-themed birthday party.
You May Also Like