Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is a comfort food casserole that features tender, shredded chicken, a tasty thickened broth, and a delicious crust.
This is the homemade chicken pot pie casserole that my kids grew up eating. Back in the day, this pot pie usually showed up on my weekly menu. It’s an easy dish to make and it’s one the entire family loves.
I know this is not your traditional chicken pot pie. It probably should be called a chicken casserole since it doesn’t have any vegetables added. But I’ve always called it a pot pie so that’s what we will continue to call this dish.
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
To make this homemade chicken pot pie, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Boiled and Deboned Chicken (or you can use a rotisserie chicken, skin removed)
- Chicken Broth (3/4 cup broth from boiled chicken)
- Cream of Celery Soup
- Boiled Eggs, sliced
- Self-rising flour
- Melted Butter
- Salt and Pepper
How To Boil a Whole Chicken
I use a small fryer (2-1/2 to 3 pounds) for this recipe.
If you’re boiling a small whole chicken (fryer), it will take about 60-70 minutes (90 minutes for larger chickens). The internal temperature should be 160º. Be careful not to overcook or the chicken will be rubbery instead of tender.
Place the whole chicken in a large pot and cover with water or low sodium chicken broth. To add even more flavor to the chicken, season with salt and pepper and add two quartered carrots and a large onion, quartered.
Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer (partially covered) for 60 minutes or until done. Remove chicken and allow it to cool before deboning. Strain and reserve broth.
Shortcuts For When You’re In A Hurry
Sometimes I don’t have the extra time to boil a chicken to make this casserole. Here are some shortcuts that help when I’m running short of time.
- Buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Remove the skin before shredding the chicken.
- You can also purchase hard-boiled eggs from the grocery store. All you have to do is slice them.
Simple Steps For Making Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (See the complete printable recipe card below)
1. Preheat oven – Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Lightly grease the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Place shredded, deboned chicken evenly on the bottom of the dish.
3. Pour chicken broth over the chicken and then spoon the cream of celery over the broth.
4. Slice the hard-boiled eggs and place them in a single layer over the cream of celery soup. They don’t have to be super close, just evenly space them out.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Combine the crust ingredients and pour over the sliced hard-boiled eggs.
Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.
This casserole will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
You May Also Like These Recipes
- Favorite Herbs and Pesto Recipe
- Grandma’s Southern Brunswick Stew
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Mom’s Chicken and Dumplings
- Best Recipes Featuring Pecans
- Pan-Seared Halibut
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is a favorite weeknight meal. This comfort-food casserole has flavorful, tender chicken and a delicious crust.
- 1 fryer chicken (boiled, deboned, and shredded)
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 Tablespoons butter (1 stick), melted
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place shredded chicken evenly over the bottom of the dish. Pour broth over chicken. Spoon the cream of celery soup over the chicken. Add the hard-boiled egg slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine the flour, milk, and melted butter. Pour over the chicken and bake at 350º F. until golden brown, about 45-50 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 261Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 94mgSodium 677mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 9g