It’s that time of year again! It’s time to start thinking about curling up on the sofa with a good book, a soft chenille throw, and a cup of steaming homemade hot cocoa with marshmallows slowly melting into swirls of creamy goodness.
Believe it or not, we are kinda, sorta having fall-like weather here in SC. It may be near 80 today (anything in the 70s is considered chilly by my standards). If I crank the air way down low and think about igloos, polar bears, and the time I almost killed myself skiing.
Scratch that last thought about skiing and let’s get back to talking about delicious homemade hot cocoa.
Instant is Okay But Homemade Is Better
I’ve been known to heat a cup of water and dump in a package of hot cocoa mix. But why would I when it takes such little time to make it from scratch? And it’s so much better. I promise!
Really, it only takes a few minutes to make. You’ll never use that instant stuff again. Well, you may, but why would you want to?
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Cocoa
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- sugar (or a low-calorie equivalent of your choice)
- milk (I’ve also used almond milk with great results)
- vanilla extract
- marshmallows or whipped cream
Festive Holiday Hot Cocoa
For a festive look, crush peppermint sticks and wet the rims of the cups with water. Press rim into crushed peppermint and you’ve added a festive touch AND a unique flavor. Of course, you’ll want to do this before filling the cups with hot cocoa. 🙂
What To Serve With Homemade Hot Cocoa
- Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
You May Also Like These Recipes
- Hot Cocoa Mix (homemade gift idea!)
- Minty Cocoa Mousse (so good!)
- Triple Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake (my favorite chocolate cake!)
- Chocolate Bundt Cake (yum!)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (or a low-calorie equivalent of your choice)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups milk (I have used almond milk with great results)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallows or whipped cream
- In a 3-quart saucepan, stir cocoa with sugar and salt until mixed. Stir in a small amount of milk to make a smooth paste; stir in the remainder of the milk.
- Heat over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around the edge, stirring occasionally. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Whisk until smooth and foamy. Pour into 6 cups. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuffed Puffs - Variety 2 Pack, Marshmallows Made with Real Chocolate, Perfect for Hot Cocoa and Snacking, 1 bag of Original and 1 bag of Chocolate-on-Chocolate (8.6 oz each)
Nestle Toll House Cocoa, 8 Ounce
Moscow Mule Copper Mugs with 4 Straws and Shot Glass - Set of 4 HandCrafted Food Safe Pure Solid Copper Mugs - Bonus Highest Quality Copper Shot Glass and 4 Copper Straws - Attractive Box
Rae Dunn By Magenta HOT COCOA Ceramic LL Coffee Tea Mug With Red Letters 2019 Limited Edition
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 20mgSodium 171mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 0gSugar 17gProtein 9g