Cherry Garcia Cookies are so pretty and delicious. These cookies are filled with chopped maraschino cherries and chocolate chips.
A few days ago, when I was finalizing my Christmas day menu, I was stumped on what to make for dessert. I’ve been making so many desserts during the holiday season.
On Thanksgiving, I had a complete dessert bar full of pies and cakes. My husband said, “Why don’t you just do a few different kinds of cookies and that candy bar fudge. Oh, and lemon squares.”
Lemon squares are always popular when I’m hosting the family or throwing a party. So, after I thought about my husband’s request, I decided to go with it.
My Christmas Day Menu
By the time Christmas rolls around, we’re pretty much done with all the heavy, rich foods of Thanksgiving, etc. So, years ago, we decided to grill steaks for Christmas. All the kids and grandkids come over for lunch and then we open presents and spend the afternoon together.
I used to make a standing rib roast for the Christmas meal. But as the family grew, I changed it to grilled ribeyes. My husband is the king of the grill so I make the sides and desserts. The weather has always cooperated (should be 62 and sunny here on Christmas day).
Along with ribeyes, I make a huge green salad and a baked potato bar (fries for the kids who don’t eat baked potatoes). I add mac and cheese (grandkids, you know) and rolls. The kids and grandkids love it.
Christmas Day Desserts Including Cherry Garcia Cookies
Instead of cakes and pecan pie cobbler, it’s all about cookies and fudge. In addition to the lemon bars and candy bar fudge, I’m making Cherry Garcia Cookies and Magic Cookie Bars.
Of course, I’ll have my famous mocha punch ready to serve as soon as the kids/grandkids arrive. One taste and you’ll be hooked.
Cherry Garcia Cookies
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Unsalted butter
- Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- Vanilla extract
- Cherry Juice
- Pink gel food coloring
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Chopped maraschino cherries
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Drain the maraschino cherries before chopping.
Note: I use a medium-sized cookie (or ice cream) scoop to scoop the batter onto the cookie sheets. A medium-sized scoop holds about 1-1/4 Tablespoons cookie dough. This makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.
Cookie scoops come in different sizes. My small scoop holds about 2 teaspoons cookie dough. My medium scoop (the one I use for these cookies) holds 1-1/4 Tablespoons. A large scoop holds approximately 3 Tablespoons.
Of course, if you use a smaller cookie scoop, you’ll have more cookies.
Cherry Garcia Cookies
Delicious Cherry Garcia Cookies are filled with chopped maraschino cherries and chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter. softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry juice
- 2 drops pink gel food coloring (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained (reserve 1/2 tsp. juice)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until combined and smooth. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and cherry juice until combined. Mix in the pink gel food coloring.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until combined.
- Gently fold in the cherries and the chocolate chips.
- Use a medium-sized cookie scoop and scoop cookie batter onto the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for 14-16 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the cookie sheets and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 132Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 18mgSodium 54mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 2g
You May Also Like
Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Smokies
Shortbread Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies Filled With Chocolate Ganache
Chocolate Chip Miracle Cookies