My family is crazy about my Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan. Tender chicken is cooked in a tomato basil sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and crunchy breadcrumbs.
If you’re fortunate enough to have any leftovers, it’s even better the next day. I like to serve Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti, but you can use whatever type of pasta your family prefers.
Sometimes, I make Chicken Parmesan the traditional way – dipping the chicken in an egg and then in breadcrumbs. This way doesn’t work in the slow cooker. The breadcrumbs become soggy and it’s not very good.
When I make Chicken Parmesan in the slow cooker, instead of coating the chicken with breadcrumbs, I brown the breadcrumbs in a skillet a few minutes before the chicken is done.
Then, I top each piece of chicken with the breadcrumb mixture right before serving. It must be good because my daughter-in-law asked me how I made the breadcrumb topping taste so delicious.
Of course, when my large family comes over for lunch every Sunday, I have to quadruple this recipe. Thankfully, I have several slow cookers.
This past Sunday, I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. The family loved the swap. Add a green salad, rolls (or garlic bread) and you’re good to go.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
(Scroll to the end of the post to find the full, printable recipe card)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- tomato and basil pasta sauce (in a jar!)
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Panko bread crumbs
- shredded parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- thin spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
Tips For Making Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Pour Tomato and Basil Sauce over chicken.
Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Before serving, top the chicken with shredded mozzarella, parmesan, and breadcrumbs. Serve over pasta (I use thin spaghetti).
Helpful Hint: To make the breadcrumb topping, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1-1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until browned.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (24 oz.) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 & 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. thin spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour pasta sauce over the chicken and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Just before the pasta is done, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken over the pasta and top with cheeses and breadcrumbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gotham Steel 5 Quart Multipurpose Pasta Pot with Strainer Lid & Twist and Lock Handles, Nonstick Copper Surface Makes for Effortless Cleanup with Tempered Glass Lid, Dishwasher Safe
4C Plain Japanese Style Panko Bread Crumbs, 2 Pack
Cuisipro Silicone Spaghetti Server, 12.25-Inch, Red, Red
VERO GUSTO BY BARILLA Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, 20 Ounce Jar Made in Parma, Italy No Artificial Ingredients and No Added Sugar Non-GMO Project Verified, Pack of 3
Crock-Pot 7-Quart Oval Manual Slow Cooker | Stainless Steel (SCV700-S-BR)
Amount Per Serving Calories 498Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 117mgSodium 651mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 49g
This is such a simple recipe and when my daughter-in-law asked if it was on the blog, I knew I had to add it. It’s a keeper!