Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli is a hearty bean and pasta soup that simmers for hours in the crockpot. I always cook the pasta separately and add it towards the end.
Once the holiday season is over, I’m pretty much tired of all the rich, heavy foods that we seem to eat only during the holidays.
And, because any type of bean soup is way up on the list of my very favorite foods, I like to throw the ingredients for my Pasta e Fagioli into the slow cooker in the morning. I love crockpot meals that simmer all day long while I work.
Even if I’m just puttering around the house all day, just knowing that this soup is simmering away makes me very happy.
Pasta e Fagioli simply means pasta and beans. But the Italian words for pasta and beans sounds much more appealing, right?
I know that some people actually add their pasta to the slow cooker at some point and let it cook along with the soup. I don’t. About 10 minutes before eating, I cook the pasta according to the directions on the box and then stir it into the soup at the end. No mushy pasta for me!
You can top this soup off with fresh chopped Italian parsley, but I have to admit right here and now that I’m not a big fan of parsley. I just don’t like the taste of it.
My Pasta e Fagioli pairs perfectly with my grandma’s hoecakes. I’m in heaven!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Diced onion
- Chopped carrot
- Chopped celery
- Button mushrooms
- Diced sweet potato
- Salt and pepper
- Diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Vegetable broth
- Cannellini beans (canned)
- Navy beans (canned)
- Kidney beans (canned)
- Bowtie pasta
- Italian parsley (optional garnish)
Add-Ins for Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli
You’ll notice that this soup doesn’t have any meat. I don’t think it needs it. However, if you’re like my husband who wants meat at every meal, you can add 1/2 pound Italian Sausage.
If you do add the sausage, add it to a skillet before adding the onion, carrot, celery, sweet potato, mushrooms, and seasonings.
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 package mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 box vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups dry bowtie pasta
- Italian parsley, optional garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, sweet potato, mushrooms, and seasonings and saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker and add tomatoes, beans, and vegetable broth. Simmer on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cook pasta according to the directions on the package and gently stir into soup. Add Italian parsley to garnish.
Amount Per Serving Calories 298Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 727mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 12gSugar 6gProtein 15g
You May Also Like