If you love pecans and chocolate, (who doesn’t?) this frozen chocolate pecan pie will quickly become a new favorite. This pie is the perfect pie to make during the spring and summer.
It all begins with a homemade pecan crust topped with a filling that includes bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Homemade whipped cream is mixed with the filling before placing it in the freezer until set.
When I served this pie to my family, my daughter said it was the best pie she’s ever eaten. I love how easy this is to make.
The chocolate is melted in a double boiler on top of the stove, mixed with the other filling ingredients, and cooled slightly. Homemade whipped cream is folded into the filling before spooning into the homemade pecan crust. Freeze until ready to serve.
Ingredients At A Glance For Frozen Chocolate Pecan Pie
(Keep scrolling to see the printable recipe card)
- finely chopped pecans
- packed brown sugar
- bittersweet chocolate
- granulated sugar
- instant coffee
- eggs, at room temperature
- dark rum OR 1/2 Tablespoon rum extract
- vanilla extract
- heavy whipping cream
Tips On Making Frozen Chocolate Pecan Pie
The crust needs to be baked for 10 minutes. I let it cool and hang out in the freezer while I make the filling and I use my mini food processor to finely chop the toasted pecans.
In a medium-size bowl, add the chopped pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter. Mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes. Cool, then place in the freezer while you make the filling.
In the top of a double boiler over slightly simmering but not boiling water, melt the chocolate, granulated sugar, and instant coffee.
Helpful Hint: If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a heatproof mixing bowl on top of a pot of simmering water.
How To Melt Chocolate In A Double Boiler
Add one to two inches of water to a saucepan. Place a heatproof bowl over the saucepan. Check to make sure the bowl fits snug over the saucepan and doesn’t touch the water. Turn the stove to medium heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the bowl.
As the water begins to simmer, the chocolate will begin to melt. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and slowly whisk in the eggs, rum, and vanilla extract until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.
While the chocolate mixture is cooling, whip one cup of whipping cream until soft peaks form.
You have soft peaks when you lift the whisk and the peaks will hold briefly before falling back into the cream.
Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and spoon into the prepared crust. Freeze for at least an hour or until set.
Whip the remaining cream right before serving and top each slice with a dollop.
How To Store Frozen Chocolate Pecan Pie
If you have leftovers (I never do!), store, wrapped, in the freezer for up to a month.
You can also make this pie ahead of time and keep it in the freezer for up to a month.
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 5 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate (use a baking bar OR baking chips)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon dark rum OR 1/2 Tablespoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- For the crust, mix pecans, brown sugar, and butter in a medium bowl until the mixture holds together. Press onto the bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350º F. for 10 minutes. Cool. Place in the freezer while you make the chocolate filling.
- For the filling, melt chocolate, granulated sugar, and instant coffee in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering (not boiling) water. Remove from heat and whisk in the eggs, rum, and vanilla extract until smooth. Cool about 5 minutes.
- Whip one cup whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture and spoon into the prepared crust. Freeze for at least one hour or until set.
Before serving, whip the remaining 1/2 cup whipped cream to garnish the pie. Makes 6-8 servings.
I used Ghirardelli bittersweet baking chips in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you love this recipe, you’ll want to try the ones below!
- Cornbread Pudding With Caramel Rum Sauce
- 19 Shrimp Recipes Including Paleo and Coconut Rum
- Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Best Recipes Featuring Pecans
- Upside Down Apple Pie