Sometimes I just need chocolate. Hot chocolate. No. Not the kind you drink. It’s way too hot for that. I need spicy chocolate. I need heat. Sometimes I just need Mexican Lava Brownies & Dulce de Leche Ice Cream (caramel ice cream). Coffee ice cream is also good with these brownies.
If I had to pick a favorite cuisine, it would be Mexican food. Hands down. Every. Single. Time. It’s a family favorite and I like it hot. (No worries, these brownies are not hot, just a little kick of spiciness)
The hubs and I have been to Mexico several times over the years and we always search for the most authentic, non-touristy places to eat. Oh, and we’ve found some good ones.
Once we were in a tiny restaurant and I ordered guacamole. The owner sent his young son across the street for avocados. Talking about fresh!
Mexican Lava Brownies are so easy to make. Don’t tell anyone, but I use a brownie mix. There’s no shame in my game! I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper and cinnamon to kick things up a notch.
If you don’t like the heat, get out of the kitchen. I mean, leave the cayenne pepper out completely. It’s all good. But it’s better with the pepper.
It’s All About the Center of Mexican Lava Brownies
As soon as you dig into my Mexican Lava Brownies, the chocolate center begins to ooze out and mixes with the caramel ice cream. It’ll make you want to do a Mexican hat dance.
(The photo below is from another Mexican party I hosted)
Looking for more scrumptious Mexican or Tex/Mex recipes?
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Mexican Corn Casserole
- Best Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican Chicken Casserole (Plus Fiesta Party Tips!)
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Loaded Nachos in Less Than 10 Minutes
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner. Are you ready to celebrate?
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1(1 lb. 2.4 oz) brownie mix (I use Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Dulce de Leche ice cream
- Heat oven to 400º. Grease 12 muffin cups. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks until frothy. (I do it all by hand).
- Gradually add brownie mix, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and cayenne pepper and stir until combined.
- Stir the melted chocolate/butter mixture into the brownie mix.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the sides are set. The center will be moist.
- Cool for 2 minutes and run a knife around the edges of the muffin cups.
- Turn brownies onto baking rack to cool. Serve with ice cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 180Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 122mgSodium 111mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 3g
What’s your very favorite Mexican food? I love it all.