Grilled Eggplant is full of flavor and easy to make. Eggplant slices are brushed with olive oil and seasonings before grilling. After the slices are grilled, top with marinated crumbled feta before serving.
I’m an eggplant lover! During the summertime, a couple from our church keeps me supplied with fresh eggplant and I’m truly grateful.
When I shared my Sauteed Eggplant With Tomatoes and Onions recipe, I had no idea how popular it would be. Seems I’m not the only person who loves eggplant.
Eggplant Is Considered A Fruit
Eggplant is actually a fruit and is classified as a member of the berry family because it contains seeds. At my house, we treat it like a vegetable.
Eggplants are rich in nutrients, low in calories, and high in fiber and antioxidants. In other words, eggplant is good and good for you.
How To Tell If An Eggplant Is Ripe
Eggplants come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors.
When picking the perfect eggplant, look for glossy, shiny skin. Dull skin is a sign of an overripe eggplant.
Gently squeeze the eggplant. If your finger makes an impression that quicky fades, it’s ripe. When there is no give, the eggplant is not ripe. If the indention remains, it’s over-ripe.
Eggplants do not store well. When you purchase or pick a ripe eggplant, use it the same day if possible. Eggplants will not ripen off the vine and they will deteriorate quickly, becoming spongy.
Eggplants can be stored for a day or two at room temperature before eating. If you don’t plan to eat the eggplant within two days, store in the fridge, wrapped in a paper towel and placed in a perforated plastic bag. Use within 4 days.
Ingredients for Grilled Eggplant With Marinated Feta
- Eggplants (2 medium-sized)
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Italian Seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Crumbled Feta
How To Make Grilled Eggplant
You’ll want to slice the eggplant (about 1/2″ thick) and place it on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Pat dry.
Salting the eggplant helps remove moisture. Plus, it will get rid of any bitterness.
In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally. Add the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. We’re only using 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes so it’s not too spicy. Stir well and remove from the heat to let cool.
Once the seasoned olive oil has cooled, brush the eggplant slices lightly with the oil. Pour the remaining oil over 4 ounces of crumbled feta and stir to combine.
Grill the eggplant slices over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes per side. Top with the marinated feta.
This is one of my favorite side dishes when we’re grilling chicken or steak. It’s so easy to make!
A few nights ago my husband and I had grilled ribeye steaks, baked sweet potatoes, and grilled eggplant topped with marinated feta. It was so good!
Helpful Hint: You can slice the eggplant lengthwise or you can cut it crosswise to make smaller slices.
You May Also Like These Recipes
- Italian Sausage Flatbread Pizza
- Marinated Pork Chops
- Grilling Party Ideas
- 20 Delicious Fruit Salads
- Coconut Cake With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Delicious Apple Crumble
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. crumbled feta
- Slice the eggplants 1/2 inch thick. Place slices in a single layer on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Pat dry.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Cook for one minute, stirring often. Stir in the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the oil has cooled, brush the eggplant slices lightly with the oil. Add the feta to a small bowl and pour the remaining oil over the crumbled feta.
- Grill eggplant slices over medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side. Top with the marinated feta.
Amount Per Serving Calories 199Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 17mgSodium 273mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 4g