Chocolate Mounds Cake has a creamy coconut and marshmallow filling between the layers. A chocolate frosting tops this delicious cake. It’s the perfect dessert for when you’re craving chocolate and coconut.
I haven’t had a Mounds candy bar in years. Sometimes you feel like a nut . . .
I Love Coconut
I’m in the “I love coconut” camp. Seems like coconut is one of those things you either love or hate – no middle ground allowed.
My oldest grandson took after me. He loves coconut. His parents, not so much. So I have to make sure he gets his coconut fix every once in a while.
I usually make cakes from scratch (not using a box mix). Every once in a while, I’ll use a boxed mix and this is one of those times. I always add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract to cake mixes to amp up the flavor.
This layered chocolate cake has a creamy coconut filling between the layers and a rich chocolate frosting on top. Let’s get this party started!
Chocolate Mounds Cake
Mix the boxed cake mix according to the package directions. Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
Chocolate Mounds Cake Filling
For the filling, you’ll need sugar, milk, vanilla, coconut, and marshmallows. Bring to a boil and boil over medium heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Let cool slightly and spread between cake layers. Do not spread over the top layer. That’s where the yummy chocolate frosting goes.
Chocolate Mounds Cake Frosting
The rich, chocolate frosting consists of butter, evaporated milk, sugar, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat, let cool slightly and frost cake. The frosting will harden as it cools.
Note: Watch closely because you don’t want the frosting to get too hard. It needs to be spreadable. If it does get too hard, add one teaspoon of milk at a time and whisk until spreadable.
You Will Also Love These Cake Recipes
- German Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Italian Cream Cake
- Pecan Praline Cheesecake
- 7UP Cake
- Caramel Cake
- Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Honey Bun Cake
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix (plus oil, eggs & water as directed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 15 regular-sized marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (7 oz.) package sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Combine the ingredients for the cake mix, adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch baking pans. The layers will be thin.
- Bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for ten minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Make the filling by combining sugar and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add vanilla, coconut, and marshmallows and boil over medium heat for five minutes. Let cool slightly and spread between cake layers.
- Combine the frosting ingredients (butter, evaporated milk, 2 cups sugar, and semi-sweet morsels) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool until spreading consistency. The frosting will harden as it cools. Frost top and sides of the cake.
Amount Per Serving Calories 392Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 24mgSodium 126mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 2gSugar 60gProtein 3g