This post, Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, was sponsored by I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. All opinions are my own.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are so pretty and delicious. These cookies are easy to make and are perfect for a holiday cookie exchange.
You’ve just got to try my Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies! One bite and you’ll be hooked for life! I dare say that these are my favorite cookies of all time. But before we rush into the easy recipe, let’s talk butter.
If you’ve been reading my blog for very long, you know that I’ve always been a butter snob. I’ve even begged, pleaded, and politely requested that no substitutes be made for the real deal in my recipes.
I’m making an exception with these cookies. Of course, you can feel free to use butter in this recipe. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter is made from simple ingredients (you know I’m all about simple) including a blend of plant-based oils, purified water, and a pinch of salt. This new recipe is also offered in the original, light, and olive oil varieties.
The best part: The new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® spread has 40% fewer calories and 70% less saturated fat than butter. And because no one can eat just one of my Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, that’s good news!
My chocolate and walnut cookies are not overly sweet, but then you bite into the frosting and the milk chocolate candy center and there’s a burst of sweet, chocolaty goodness.
Am I being overly dramatic? Not at all! It’s like a little slice of heaven on earth!
Ingredients for Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter OR unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking cocoa
- finely chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
- chocolate kisses
How To Store Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies can be stored for up to three days at room temperature, in an airtight container. If you store these in the fridge, they will keep for up to a week.
These cookies are the perfect treat to have on hand for the holiday season and especially a cookie exchange party! And who wouldn’t love to get a tin of these chocolate thumbprints for Christmas?
Helpful Hint: Don’t forget to try the new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter for all of your holiday baking! I like the fact that it’s spreadable straight out of the refrigerator, so there’s no need to wait for it to soften! Don’t you hate waiting for butter to soften?
You May Also Like These Cookie Recipes
- Best Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
- Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
- Cherry Garcia Cookies
- Creme Brulee Gingersnap Cookies
- Gingersnap Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies (filled with chocolate ganache!)
- Milk Chocolate Toffee Butter Cookies
- Miracle Peanut Butter Cookies (no flour)
- 1/2 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter OR unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- When the dough has chilled for an hour, lightly beat the egg white in a small bowl.
- Shape dough into 1" balls; dip in egg white, then roll in finely chopped walnuts.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Make an indention with thumb in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until the center is set.
- Combine the first 4 filling ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of filling into each warm cookie; gently press a chocolate kiss in the center.
- Carefully remove from baking sheet to wire racks to cool.
Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 10mgSodium 64mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 2g